Interview with Gianpiero Fontana
Gianpiero Fontana, Chief Technical Officer, CABYCAL, S.L. in Interview.
In your opinion, what are currently the biggest challenges for painting companies and job-shop coaters?
The biggest short term challenges are related to sustainability. Energy savings, emissions and residues reduction and health and safety aspects.
In that matter job-shop coaters are in big disadvantage against painting companies regarding VOCs emission limits. There are no small-size solutions with acceptable costs for small coaters.
From the other hand, to be able to answer customers production & quality request with very short notice.
From your standpoint, what are the best ways to optimize coating processes?
Three main paths:
1) the usage of low energy consumption products (related to pre-treatment process conditions and efficient paints),
2) the automation of the process, using robots or similar for heavy duty tasks (loading & unloading), dangerous tasks (painting, flaming, etc…) or quality related tasks (painting, flaming, blowing, etc…)
3) during production, by tracking process data and evaluate points where improvements can be done to optimize energy, time and costs.
What trends are emerging in your area of industrial painting technology?
- Liquid UV coats, used for automobile internal and or external pieces.
- Powder a double layer application, which requires more productive machines or more complex material conveying solutions.
- In all cases, process and or production traceability (Industry 4.0 and IOT) is required to be able to analyse process weak spots and improve the operability of the machine by reducing downtimes.
What developments/solutions does your company offer for these trends?
Fully automated and personalised painting facilities that include automation of material logistics and robotised applications. Using of IO-Link instrumentation, for example.
Remote assistance in our process, so we remotely assist the end-user in process solving methods.
Also, fully personalised software solution to collect data form the process and to analyse this data in order to start other automatic processes (spare automatic purchase, automatic process adjustments, automatic generation of maintenance schedules, etc…).
What significance does PaintExpo have for your company?
This year is the first time Cabycal is participating in PaintExpo. We believe that PaintExpo is the most important European trade fair in our sector and that is why we have decided to become an exhibitor. Our aim is to achieve greater visibility in Europe.
Also, PaintExpo is a good place where we can exchange our proven experience with other partners, providers and competitors and be able to get to know new products and technologies that can be very useful for any future project.