Interview with Dr. Stefano Lazzerini
Dr. Stefano Lazzerini, Business Manager for Industrial Liquid Coatings - Div. Specialties and UV Product Manager at Arsonsisi SPA in interview.
In your opinion, what are currently the biggest challenges for painting companies and job-shop coaters?
I believe that currently the biggest challenges for painting companies and job-coaters concern the environmental sustainability that is the possibility to supply the market with the best quality solutions preserving the environment (avoiding polluting substances, using less energy in the process, etc.)
From your standpoint, what are the best ways to optimize coating processes?
From my point of view the best ways to optimize coating process are here following listed:
1) use water base coatings
2) use coating with high dry residue (also at 100 % of dry residue)
3) decrease the over spray (for paints to apply by spry guns)
4) use paints with low temperature curing system (for saving energy)
5) use fast coating process (for example UV curing systems)
What trends are emerging in your area of industrial painting technology?
The trend emerging in my area of industrial painting technology is mainly the use of Sputtering + UV curing paints as a replacement for galvanic treatments (see the European Regulations on the elimination of Cr VI) on plastics and metals.
What developments/solutions does your company offer for these trends?
Arsonsisi has developed UV curing base and top coatings for Sputtering:
1. a base system with a UV paint + a sputtering layer + a post-sputtering UV paint, possibly a dual cure product, in order to harden the coating even where UV beams do not directly hit;
2. a mixed system composed of a UV base-coat + a sputtering layer + a
post-sputtering thermal coating, generally aliphatic polyurethane enamel;
3. a system composed of a pre-sputtering UV paint + a sputtering finishing layer; the longer dwell time of the workpiece in the sputtering chamber ensures higher thicknesses, so that repainting is no longer necessary.
What significance does PaintExpo have for your company?
PaintExpo is the global showcase of the painting industry, where demand and supply meet, and for us represents the most effective way to introduce our technology and product range to international expert visitors.