Interview with Bernd Dispan
Bernd Dispan, Head of Sales / Authorized Signatory, Grimm Pulverlack GmbH in Interview.
In your opinion, what are currently the biggest challenges for painting companies and job-shop coaters?
The way we see it, our customers and coating job-shops are currently dealing with a variety of issues:
- Lack of qualified personnel in the field of production coating
- Not enough applicants for traineeships
- REACH regulations which repeatedly result in new restrictions
(for example a possible ban on titanium dioxide), so that certain raw materials can no longer be used for which no equivalent replacements are available
Consequence: The use of some powder coatings will be prohibited in the future, thus necessitating process modifications, new coating approvals etc.
General cost increases for the coating process (raw materials, consumables, personnel etc.)
From your standpoint, what are the best ways to optimize coating processes?
- Conducting process analyses, for example together with the powder supplier (we offer this service)
- Development of powder coatings which are aligned to the needs of the coating
companies (question for these companies: “Which powder coating would you like to use which, in your opinion, is not yet available and which would make work easier for you?”)
What trends are emerging in your area of industrial painting technology?
- Low-temperature powder coatings (this issue never dies)
- Matt surfaces (smooth with fine structure)
- Powder-in-powder systems (especially for coating large parts) – in order to assure a reliable powder application process
What developments/solutions does your company offer for these trends?
- Development of low-temperature powder coatings which are matched to the processes of the respective coating company
- Expansion of our product portfolio for matt surfaces
- Development of a powder-in-powder system for job-shop powder coating – increased process reliability as compared with currently available systems
What significance does PaintExpo have for your company?
- Without a doubt the leading trade fair for our company and our products
- Information platform for our customers
- Presentation of new products and developments
- Opportunity for approaching new customers and showcasing our company